Fellowship and Graduate Support

500 Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.

All non-California residents are awarded non-resident supplemental tuition (NRST) during their first year of doctoral study. All eligible non-resident students (i.e. Permanent Residents and U.S. citizens) must establish California residency after their first year of graduate study. Information regarding California residency requirements is available on the UCLA Registrar’s Office website. All questions regarding California residency for tuition purposes should be directed to the Residence Deputy.


Students in the Ph.D. in Comparative Literature program have the opportunity to serve as Teaching Apprentices after their first year of doctoral study. Teaching apprenticeships are awarded on the basis of merit.

Fellowships and Grants

Numerous funding sources outside of the Department are available to help students fund their research.